Potato Bacon Cheddar Soup Shopping Tips
Buy fresh herbs and spices to season your soup; fresh garlic, parsley, and thyme will enhance the flavor without being overpowering.
Potato Bacon Cheddar Soup Cooking Tips
Most soups are better the day after their made. If possible refrigerate your soup overnight before serving.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ teaspoon dried dill weed (Optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ¾ cups milk
- 3 tablespoons real bacon bits
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley, or to taste
Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat cook and stir onion until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add potatoes, water, dill weed, salt, and pepper to onion bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender and water is almost all evaporated, at least 30 minutes.
Stir milk and bacon bits into potato mixture bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir parsley into soup.
Roasted Potato, Bacon, and Cheddar Soup
Cook the bacon in a skillet until crisp. Remove from the pan and reserve the fat. Cut the bacon into ¼-inch pieces and reserve.
Coat the diced potatoes and onion with 2 to 3 tablespoons of the reserved bacon fat and spread in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Roast in the oven, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Transfer the roasted potatoes and onions to a large saucepan. Add the broth, cover and bring to a simmer. Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
In batches, puree in blender. Return the soup to the pot and bring back to a simmer over medium heat. Gradually whisk in the cheddar cheese.
Stir in the green onions (or chives), reserved bacon pieces and the half-and-half (or milk). (If the soup is too thick, stir in more broth or water to the desired consistency.) Bring back to up to heat. Adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper to taste.
Peel the potatoes and cut the potatoes into ½ inch cubes.Place the potatoes in a heavy sauce pan or dutch oven and add the chicken broth and chicken bouillon cubes.
Bring to a boil and continue to cook until the potatoes are fork tender.Using a potato mash, mash the potatoes while they are still in the sauce pan. Do not mash completely as you want some chunks of potatoes.
Slowly add the 1 cup heavy cream or half and half. Allow the soup to simmer for another 10 minutes or so before adding the cheddar cheese. Add the 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
|Block Reason:||Access from your area has been temporarily limited for security reasons|
|Time:||Fri, 28 May 2021 15:28:35 GMT|
Wordfence is a security plugin installed on over 3 million WordPress sites. The owner of this site is using Wordfence to manage access to their site.
You can also read the documentation to learn about Wordfence's blocking tools, or visit wordfence.com to learn more about Wordfence.
Generated by Wordfence at Fri, 28 May 2021 15:28:35 GMT.
Your computer's time: .
- 5 ¼ pounds baking potatoes
- 7 bacon slices
- 4 ½ cups chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 7 ½ cups 1% low-fat milk
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1 ¼ cups sliced green onions
- 1 ¼ cups (5 ounces) finely shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
Pierce potatoes with a fork bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. Cool slightly. Partially mash potatoes, including skins, with a potato masher set aside.
Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan crumble. Add onion to bacon drippings in pan sauté 5 minutes. Add salt, garlic, and bay leaf sauté 2 minutes. Add potato, milk, pepper, and broth bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in parsley, if desired. Top individual servings with bacon, green onions, and cheese.
Can I Freeze Cheddar and Bacon Potato Soup?
This soup is absolutely freezer-friendly! We’ve given you instructions for making it ahead of time and freezing it, so you can have Potato Soup on hand any night of the week or for a special gathering in the future. You can either fully cook it and freeze it or prep the ingredients, freeze, and cook it fresh later. Feel free to double the batch, since doubling is a great use of your time and the bigger batch will cook at the same rate as the recipe indicates.
Want more freezer-friendly Crockpot meals?
We have SO many to choose from in this roundup of 20+ Crockpot Freezer Meals. Make sure to hop over and browse around.
What potatoes are best for this Potato Soup Recipe:
I use yukon gold potatoes in most soups, stews and roasts like my Slow Cooker Beef Stew or my Ultimate Pot Roast because the butter texture and firmness of a Yukon Gold potato is just heads and shoulders better than a russet. Yukon potatoes also freeze better than a russet potato.
Slow Cooker Loaded Potato Soup
Yield: 8 servings
prep time: 15 minutes
cook time: 8 hours 30 minutes
total time: 8 hours 45 minutes
Everyone’s favorite comfort food soup in crockpot form! Hands-off and incredibly easy with 15 min prep work! That’s it!
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Place potatoes into a 4-qt slow cooker. Stir in chicken stock, onion, garlic, thyme, butter and bacon until well combined.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours, or until potatoes are tender.
- Using a potato masher, mash potatoes until desired consistency is reached. Stir in cheese, sour cream and heavy cream until smooth season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cover and cook on low heat until warmed through, stirring occasionally, about 15-20 minutes. If the mixture is too thick, add more chicken stock as needed until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately.
Did you Make This Recipe?
Tag @damn_delicious on Instagram and hashtag it #damndelicious.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 slices bacon, cut in half
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 pounds medium russet potatoes (2-3), scrubbed and diced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup reduced-fat sour cream
- ½ cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup snipped chives or finely chopped scallion greens
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, turning occasionally, until crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel to drain, leaving the oil and bacon drippings in the pan. Add onion to the pan and cook, stirring, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer about half the potatoes to a bowl and mash until almost smooth, but still a little chunky. Return the mashed potatoes to the pan along with sour cream, 1/4 cup cheese and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the cheese is melted and the soup is heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve garnished with crumbled bacon, the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and chives (or scallion greens).
Perfectly Potato Cheddar Soup Mix
Spoon up this creamy, hearty mixture of potatoes, Cheddar cheese and onions. Just add water. Favorite since 1997.
- Spoon up this creamy, hearty mixture of potatoes, Cheddar cheese and onions. Just add water. Favorite since 1997. Serves 6. Single pack (7.1 oz.).
- Bacon Potato Quiche: This warm, flavorful quiche is perfect for family or guests. Also features Garlic Garlic&trade Seasoning and Spinach & Herb Seasoning.
- Make beer cheese soup by replacing 1 cup water with 1 cup beer. Garnish with popcorn.
- Use as a base for pot pies by adding cooked chicken and veggies.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon Garlic Garlic&trade Seasoning or Bacon Bacon&trade.
- Item: 168106
1 package Perfectly Potato Cheddar Soup Mix
6 cups cold water
1. In large saucepan over medium heat, whisk soup Perfectly Potato Cheddar Soup Mix into cold water.
2. Simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Salt and pepper to taste.
INGREDIENTS: Dehydrated potatoes, creamer (sunflower oil, corn syrup solids, sodium caseinate, mono- and diglycerides, dipotassium phosphate, contains 2% or less of tricalcium phosphate, soy lecithin, tocopherols [to protect flavor]), food starch-modified, cheese powder (Cheddar cheese [milk, salt, cheese cultures, enzymes], whey, buttermilk, salt, disodium phosphate), cornstarch, hydrolyzed corn protein, chicken fat, potassium chloride, natural flavors, dehydrated carrots, dehydrated onion, sugar, less than 2% of yeast extract, spices, onion powder, oleoresin turmeric (color), silicon dioxide (anticaking).
CONTAINS: Milk and soy.
Manufactured in a facility that processes tree nuts, egg, fish, shellfish