Photo: Hector Manuel Sanchez
If you're looking for healthy toast toppings that taste great and shake up your avocado-toast routine, try this. A cheesy base with savory kale and mushrooms atop makes this toast irresistible.
- 1 (1-oz.) slice whole-grain bread, toasted
- 2 ultra-thin Swiss cheese slices (such as Sargento)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 2 shiitake mushroom caps, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup stemmed, thinly sliced lacinato kale
- 3/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Dash of kosher salt
- Dash of black pepper
- Calories 195
- Fat 11.1g
- Satfat 4.2g
- Monofat 3.5g
- Polyfat 1.1g
- Protein 10g
- Carbohydrate 14g
- Fiber 2g
- Cholesterol 17mg
- Iron 1mg
- Sodium 271mg
- Calcium 203mg
- Sugars 2g
- Est. added sugars 2g
How to Make It
Preheat broiler to high.
Top bread with cheese. Broil 30 seconds or until cheese melts.
Heat 3/4 teaspoon oil in a small skillet over medium-high. Add mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes or until browned.
Place kale in a bowl; gently squeeze with your hands until slightly wilted. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper; toss. Top bread with kale mixture and mushrooms.