1 Hour 15 Mins
Serves 8 (serving size: 2/3 cup)
This healthier-for-you dessert celebrates the bounty of summer! Fresh, tart, juicy blackberries with a buttery streusel-like topping taste so delicious you will not even notice that we dialed back the added sugar and saturated fat in this healthy fruit crisp. Better yet, this topping is interchangeable with practically any fruit—from berries to stone fruit—so feel free to get creative.
- 6 cups fresh blackberries (from 4 [6-oz.] containers)
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest plus 2 Tbsp. fresh juice (from 1 lemon)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup plus 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup (about 2 oz.) white whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned regular rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons lightly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Calories 240
- Fat 10g
- Satfat 4g
- Unsatfat 6g
- Protein 3g
- Carbohydrate 36g
- Fiber 7g
- Sugars 20g
- Added sugars 14g
- Sodium 123mg
- Calcium 5% DV
- Potassium 4% DV
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°F. Toss together blackberries, lemon zest, lemon juice, cornstarch, and 1/4 cup of the sugar in a large bowl. Transfer to an 11- x 7-inch (2 quart) baking dish.
Whisk together flour, oats, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and remaining 3 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, work butter into flour mixture until almost combined. Drizzle canola oil over mixture, and continue working mixture until there are no large clumps. Sprinkle evenly over blackberries.
Bake in preheated oven until top is golden and blackberries are bubbling, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven, and let rest 10 minutes before serving.