We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Serves 6 (serving size: 1/2 cup tartare, about 1 tbsp. orange cream)
Traditional tartare is an indulgent delight of varying raw textures, which we replicate here using cherries, walnuts, and a surprising mixture of orange and cream. Try it on baguettes with a grassy olive oil for contrast, or plate it among a bed of bitter greens (such as arugula) for a salad.
- 2 1/2 cups seeded and chopped multi-colored heirloom tomatoes (from 3 large tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest (from 1 orange)
- 1/8 teaspoon orange flavoring
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts, finely chopped, divided
- 2 cups chopped fresh Bing cherries (14-oz.)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon, plus leaves for garnish
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons walnut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sherry vinegar, divided
- Toasted baguette slices, for serving
- Calories 129
- Fat 8g
- Satfat 3g
- Unsatfat 5g
- Protein 2g
- Carbohydrate 14g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugars 11g
- Added sugars 2g
- Sodium 327mg
- Calcium 3% DV
- Potassium 9% DV
How to Make It
Place tomatoes in a colander and let drain 30 minutes.
While tomatoes drain, whisk together cream, orange zest, orange flavoring, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt just until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the walnuts. Chill orange cream until ready to use.
Transfer drained tomatoes to a large bowl. Add cherries, tarragon, honey, walnut oil, pepper, 1 teaspoon of the sherry vinegar, and remaining 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Transfer tomato mixture to a colander and let drain 5 minutes.
Place a 3-inch metal ring mold on a plate. Fill ring with 1/2 cup of the tomato mixture; smooth top. Remove ring. Repeat procedure with remaining tomato mixture on a total of 6 plates. Drizzle 1/4 teaspoon of remaining sherry vinegar on top of each tartare. Place a quenelle or dollop of orange cream on top of each tartare. Garnish with tarragon leaves. Serve immediately.